Now that medicinal marijuana is becoming more accessible to people with various illnesses, consumers are becoming more savvy about the products and accessories on the market. Here’s a look at the best pocket scales for marijuana.
Dosage is often described as the most important part of medical marijuana usage. The amount of weed you need to ingest to relieve yourself of your symptoms will be dependent on a number of factors including the severity of your condition and your tolerance level, not to mention the method by which you plan on ingesting the weed.
A pocket scale is essential for anyone who takes a cannabis product in dry form and is especially useful for those who need to know exactly how much they are taking, each time.
For those who have a regular schedule for their dosage, a pocket scale can prove invaluable for those who do not want to take too much or too little.
A scale is also handy for checking your weight in the store and making sure you aren’t getting shorted. A scale with small increments can take into account bag weight if you are buying product already packaged and you may be surprised how much bag weight can make a difference.
A small, portable pocket scale is also great for those who need to take their medicine on the go and for those who prefer to keep their stash low key and out of the way when they aren’t using it.
What to Look for in Pocket Scales for Weed
- Compact and easy to store: Small and easy to store and carry is a key feature in a good pocket scale. Something that you can store away in a drawer or easily take with you when you are on the go is especially convenient.
- Small increments of measure: It’s not going to be useful to anyone keeping track of dosage if the pocket scale doesn’t measure in tenths of a gram increments. A pocket scale that has small increments of measure is going to be best when using it for weighing out weed.
- Easy to read display: A nice clear display with large numbers is best when shopping for a pocket scale. One that is backlit is even better, but it just needs to be easy to read.
- Durability and Value: A pocket scale should be strong and durable, especially if it’s going to get tossed about in a drawer or bag, and it should have a decent life expectancy. A warranty is a nice feature and the price should be right for the quality.
Based on these requirements, we found the American Weigh Scales AWS 1KG Digital Pocket Scale to be the best choice in pocket scales. Here’s a look at our top picks for 2017.
Pocket Scales Overview
- American Weigh Scales AWS 1KG Digital Pocket Scale
- American Weigh Scales AMW-SC-2KG Digital Pocket Scale
- Etekcity 500g Digital Multifunction Pocket Kitchen Food Scale
- Weighmax EX-650C Black Digital Coin/Jewelry Pocket Scale
- Smart Weigh ZIP600 Ultra Slim Digital Pocket Scale
Continue below to see complete reviews of each of these pocket scales.
American Weigh Scales AWS 1KG
This scale ticks all the boxes when it comes to everything you might need for weighing weed. It’s small and portable at only 1 inch thick and has a handy lid so you can close it to keep it protected for storage.
A nice stainless steel weighing scale area makes it easy to clean and provides durability and quality to the product. The screen is easy to read with backlighting and large numbers. The scale only takes two AAA batteries and has an auto shut off function so the batteries won’t run out quickly.
American Weigh Scales is a Georgia-based company that has been around since 2003. They make scales of all different shapes and sizes that are designed in the states and made in China. There is also a nice ten-year warranty which gives it reliability and one customer who has been using this pocket scale for three years updated his review to let us know that it is still going strong.
The scale measures in 0.1 gram increments and is super sensitive. This sensitivity is great for people that want to make sure they are getting exactly the right amount of weed and don’t want to leave any room for mistakes.
Some users have noticed that even breathing on it makes it change, the sensitivity is that great. Should it need re-calibration, there are calibration weights that you can purchase, but most customers have not needed this.
One of the most attractive things about this pocket scale is the price. The amount of positive customer reviews for a scale under ten dollars is quite amazing and for these reasons, we rate this pocket scale as our top choice.
Read customer reviews
American Weigh Scales AMW-SC-2KG
Another fine option from American Weigh Scales is the AMW-SC-2KG. What sets this model apart is that it can handle a heavier maximum weight and looks a bit heavier duty, but is still small enough to be portable at only 4” by 4”.
Even though it can handle heavier weights, its tenth of a gram increments make it perfect for weighing your cannabis product, be it edible or smokeable.
Like the first model, this pocket scale has the same backlit LCD screen and is also powered by 2 AAA batteries. It comes with two weighing trays that can double as a protective case when you aren’t using the scale.
One of the very few complaints customers had about the American Weigh Scales model above, is that it doesn’t come with a weighing tray,so this takes care of that problem.
This scale is incredibly accurate, with one customer even saying that they checked the calibration with many, many calibration weights and it was dead on, every time. It’s easy to use right out of the box; the only thing you have to be aware of is that there are cardboard inserts underneath the scale to protect it during shipping and some customers have forgotten to remove these, leading to initial inaccuracies.
Once these are removed, though, this scale works perfectly.
Many happy reviews show that customers are coming back to the American Weigh Scales brand for multiple purchases and at under twenty dollars, there’s a reason why.
This pocket scale packs a lot bang for the buck and the feedback shows there are plenty of happy customers who have been getting years of use out of it.
Read customer reviews
Etekcity 500g Digital Multifunction Pocket Kitchen Food Scale
A great option for the budget conscious, the Etekcity 500g Digital Multifunction Pocket Scale is small, but stylish. The stainless-steel weighing platform has a nice brushed look and would look good on a counter, but is small enough that it can be stored away in a medicine bag or a drawer.
It features a bright blue backlight LCD screen that’s easy to read and measures in small increments without any significant delay for calculation.
This pocket scale features four durable metal buttons and an auto off function like the previous models. It tares easily and is quick and easy to use and calibrate.
It also comes with a special cover for the weighing platform and for the scale itself, as well as a user guide. The cover can be turned over and used as a tray.
Etekcity is a web-based retailer that sells many products in home improvement, electronics and office supplies. Their goal is to “simplify life.” When measuring out accurate cannabis dosages, simplicity is definitely a must,so this company is one of our top choices.
Read customer reviews
Weighmax EX-650C Black Digital Coin/Jewelry Pocket Scale
On the lower end of the price scale, the Weighmax EX-650C comes in at under ten dollars and is one of the smaller scales we reviewed. Less than an inch thick and just under four inches long, this portable scale fits nicely in its plastic tray, which can also be flipped over and used for weighing.
Some users have said that for weightsunder .5 grams, the tray is necessary for the scale to register. In this case, you simply put the tray on the scale, tare it to zero and add your weed. However, users have also mentioned how great the sensitivity and accuracy is, as many have tested it with coins and calibration weights.
It comes pre-calibrated, ready to use immediately out of the box and measures in .1 gram increments, making it perfect for weighing cannabis. With just three buttons, there is no learning curve with this scale. It’s just on/off, tare and mode for different weights of measure. It also comes with the ever-useful auto off feature, meaning it won’t run down the two AAA batteries it requires.
While this scale is plastic and not stainless steel, the price reflects this and the durability and quality is good for the amazing price point. The super bright blue back lit LCD display helps in dim lighting or for those with vision problems. The EX-650C does exactly what it is supposed to do.
Read customer reviews
Smart Weigh ZIP600 Ultra Slim Digital Pocket Scale
Our final pick in our list of top pocket scales is this super compact, slim model from Smart Weigh. This is a great choice for those looking for something literally pocket sized, at just over half an inch thick–it’s basically the same size as a smartphone. It has a flip open cover that not only protects the scale, but can be taken off and used as a tray for weighing.
Rather than the push buttons of the other models, the Smart Weigh model has sleek, flush touch screen type buttons which give this scale a pro look while making it easy to use. It has the standard blue back lit LCD screen, as well as the auto off function.
Despite its tiny size, it doesn’t feel cheap, and customers have been commenting on the quality of craftsmanship and how it holds up to older, more heavy duty scales that they were previously using.
It comes in a handy travel pouch and even includes the two batteries it requires. It’s super lightweight at only 4.5 ounces, so you won’t notice this pocket scale in your bag or purse if you need to take your medicine on the road. It easily tares to zero with the included tray or anything else, and is the perfect size for small items like buds and edibles.
The nice thing about Smart Weigh is that they only specialize in scales and their website claims “award winning design” and a promise of satisfaction with their products. With a two-year manufacturer’s warranty, that’s pretty impressive for a small scale with a small price.
Read customer reviews
Things to Consider When Weighing Medicinal Marijuana
Dosage is one of the most important things to be aware of if you are prescribed cannabis for medical purposes. Following the advice of your healthcare practitioner is key when determining what dose will work best for you.
When it comes to medical cannabis, more is not necessarily better. These tips will help you feel prepared if you are prescribed marijuana for the first time.
- Studies have shown that when taken in the correct amount, cannabinoids have been shown to relieve chronic pain. Research your product thoroughly.
- Use a scale to make sure your dosage is right, every time. Most practitioners will recommend you start low and go slow.
- A recent study has shown that 25mg of cannabis with a THC content of 9.4 percent was most beneficial for reducing pain when taken 3 times a day for 5 days but everyone will be different.
- Dosage will be different depending on method of ingestion. What you require for vaping will not necessarily be the same dosage you require in an edible. Consult your healthcare professional for advice.
- There are a host of studies that highlight which conditions medical marijuana can be useful for. Different dosages are recommended for different conditions as is the method in which you take the dosage. For example, edible cannabis may be recommended for one condition, but not for others.
- Not all staff at medical marijuana dispensaries have formal training. While there is no risk of overdose, it’s important to know what dosage you should weigh out at home. Make sure the person you are talking to, knows what they are talking about.
Medical Marijuana News and Updates
- Medical marijuana a necessary prescription for opioid crisis (Las Vegas Sun)
- Why Microdosing Cannabis Is the Future of Medical Marijuana (Green Rush Daily)
- Medical Marijuana Users Sensitized About Determining Right Dose for Best Effect (SAT PR News)
- Chronic pain patients talk medical marijuana as alternative to opiates (WIVB News)