You’re able to make just about anything with your hands, and when it comes to making something out of clay, you have to have the best clay out there. You want something that is going to work with you and provide you with the work of art that you imagine in your head.
Aurora Sculpting and Molding Premium Air Dry Clay
AMACO 25 -Pound Air Dry Clay
Monster Clay Premium Grade Modeling Clay
Polyform Sculpey Super Sculpturing Compound
What to Look for in Sculpting Clay
- Pliable: With easy, pliable clay, you’re able to sculpt a lot without having to fight with the material in order to make it go where you want. Not only that but with pliable clay, you can allow kids to use it.
- Slow dry: The clay should be slow dry, so you can work longer on projects without having to worry about the clay drying out too fast. This can be a common problem with some of the less professional-grade clay materials.
- Multi-purpose: The clay should be available for many different purposes, and not just for making small figures, pots or bowls. You should be able to use it for other things, as well such as props.
- Ideal to use with hands or tools: Some people like to use both, others like one or the other. The clay that you choose should be able to be used with both types and not fall apart or become ruined when they’re used.
- An assortment of sizes: You may want more or less clay to work with, and when you have an option to get more or less, you’re better off. Choosing a decent amount to start with is always ideal.
4 Best Clay for Sculpting Figures And Modeling
1. Aurora Sculpting and Molding Premium Air Dry Clay
With the use of the Aurora Sculpting and Molding Premium Air Dry Clay, you’re easily able to create just about anything that you can think of. You’re also able to choose from many different sizes so you can get enough for all of your projects.
The clay comes in a gray color, so you can paint or finish it when the clay is completely dry. One of the best things about this clay is that you do not need to cook it in order to get it to dry and become hard. You can let it air dry, though it takes a bit longer.
It can also be used for a wide range of projects from special effects to creating those bowls and pots that you want. It is also safe and easy enough to use for children that want to create something of their own.
- Dries fast
- Professional feel
2. AMACO 25 -Pound Air Dry Clay
When you’re considering a clay that is not going to dry out fast, but also provide you with some time to work on it before it does air dry, then AMACO 25 -Pound Air Dry Clay is the right clay for you.
Coming in many different sizes, you can choose how much clay you might need for the project. It is also a grey color, so you can finish it with the paint or other varnish of your choosing when the project has completely dried.
Soft and extremely pliable, making it ideal for even the smallest of hands to use and create items with. It can also be used on a pottery wheel with some water for creating larger pieces of work, or can be used alone and then left to air dry into something.
Worth a purchase when looking for a great way to sculpt with clay that actually works.
- Easy to work with
- Finished well
3. Monster Clay Premium Grade Modeling Clay
Enjoy the way this Monster Clay Premium Grade Modeling Clay feels in your hands as you’re working on it. You can create anything from small masterpieces to large decorations made to entice and scare.
However, this clay only comes in 5 lb tubs, and you cannot choose larger sizes but can purchase multiple 5 lb tubs to use for any of the projects that you have.
It is wax and oil based, so it is a bit more flexible when it dries than normal clay that you’d find.
Though used mostly for special effects, it can also be used for other things. It was put on the list to ensure that you have the right clay for the right job.
It comes in a light brown color, so you’re able to leave it in this color or choose to paint and shellac it however you’d like.
- Smooth and holds detail well
- Firm clay when dry
4. Polyform Sculpey Super Sculpturing Compound
When looking for a clay that is not going to let you down, make sure to use the Polyform Sculpey Super Sculpturing Compound. This clay is pliable, and provides you with a way to create anything you’d like without having it dry out.
The clay comes in many different sized packs, so you can choose how much clay you need for a project. It comes in a brown, beige color so when the project is finish and dried, you’re able to easily seal and paint it.
The clay is also extremely versatile, making it easier to do many different projects. You can glue pieces to the clay and have it become anything you want.
With the high quality clay product, you will be able to create just about any masterpiece that comes to mind.
Perfect for children, beginners or professionals looking for a clay that stands up to the test and provides a long-lasting sculpt.
- Easy to form and use
- Holds detail well
Be creative, and make sure to find something that works with you and the type of sculpting that you’d like to have done. Always make sure to be covered when it comes to any crafts.
Of course, you have me here letting you know the four best types of clay for sculpting that you can use currently, so take a peek and find out what is in store for you.
Do you recommend another type of clay for sculpting?
Let us know! We’d be glad to review it and if the consensus is good, we’ll add it to the mix.