So you have a plan to create your own customized garden paradise. You’ve selected the gravel, picked out the perfect positions for the trees and shrubs, and planted flowers. Your neighbors are going to be so jealous! But there’s something you need to consider before getting too excited about how impressed they will be.
To make sure this lovely arrangement isn’t destroyed by pesky, unwanted weeds, you must take a preventative measure. Weed barrier fabric is absolutely necessary to maintain the artistically genius garden you have created whether its from trees and shrubs, or your vegetable garden.
There are countless products on the market for this very purpose, but how are you to know which is the right type? Let’s find out below.
PRO Series 4 Ft X 225 Ft Weed Control Landscape Fabric
SCOTTS 25-Year Pro Fabric, 3 by 150-Feet
Dewitt 4-Foot by 50-Foot 12-Year Weed Barrier Fabric 12YR450
DeWitt P4 4'x250' Pro 5 Barrier 5oz Fabric
Dewitt 3-Inch by 50-Foot Tree Wrap White TW3W
What to Look for in Weed Barrier Fabric
- Easy to install yourself: It’s a hassle to call in a professional for a simple task. Instead of purchasing a complicated fabric to protect your garden from weeds, select a brand that you can install yourself with a pair of scissors and some good old-fashioned elbow grease.
- Lets air and water through: You don’t want the soil beneath the fabric to completely starve and lose its value, but you don’t want it to nourish weeds either. Find a fabric that doesn’t completely block air and water from getting through, but still keeps weeds away.
- Environmentally friendly: The whole point of using weed fabric is to not have to resort to chemicals. Weed suppressants have a tendency to harm neighboring plants that we want to protect. It’s important to find a fabric that doesn’t do this. Find a roll that won’t harm the ecosystem of your yard so that your other plants can thrive.
- Durable and long-lasting: The last thing you want to do is replace your weed suppressant fabric every 2 months. Find a type that lasts for months or ideally multiple seasons to avoid this inconvenience.
5 Best Weed Barriers And Landscape Fabric for Your Yard
1. PRO Series 4 Ft X 225 Ft Weed Control Landscape Fabric
When selecting a weed barrier fabric, you want something that is going to last you an entire season, ideally. The PRO Series 4 Ft X 225 Ft Weed Control Landscape Fabric fits the bill.
The tough material of this fabric maintains its strength even through the cold season. The durability of the fabric ensures that it will last a very long time and keep the weeds away, unlike flimsier alternatives which only last a couple of months.
- Good quality
- Easy to use
- Hard to tear
2. SCOTTS 25-Year Pro Fabric, 3 by 150-Feet
You want to find a fabric that is strong and durable, but not so heavy that you can’t even lift the rollover to the garden. The SCOTTS 25-Year Pro Fabric, 3 by 150-Feet roll fits this description.
Instead of having a flimsy plastic feel, this product is made of quality fabric. Though it’s sturdy, it’s also easy to install and simple enough to cut, meaning you can do it yourself instead of calling in expensive professionals.
- High quality
- Light and durable
3. Dewitt 4-Foot by 50-Foot 12-Year Weed Barrier Fabric 12YR450
As mentioned earlier, you don’t want a fabric that needs reinstallation often. Use the Dewitt 4-Foot by 50-Foot 12-Year Weed Barrier Fabric 12YR450 for an entire year with no sign of weeds.
This brand is more heavy-duty than other brands and is made of thicker material, adding to its durability. Just put some bark or gravel over the top of it and your garden is ready to go!
- Heavy duty
- Easy to use
4. DeWitt P4 4’x250′ Pro 5 Barrier 5oz Fabric
Usually, if you want your weed barrier to last over an entire season, you have to call in professionals. The DeWitt P4 4’x250′ Pro 5 Barrier 5oz Fabric makes this inconvenience unnecessary.
This material is so strong, you can run a truck over it without tears. Test it out yourself. This brand is more expensive than other similar products but worth the extra money.
- Expensive but worth it
- High quality
5. Dewitt 3-Inch by 50-Foot Tree Wrap White TW3W
If you need to protect your trees from burn damage from the sun, the Dewitt 3-Inch by 50-Foot Tree Wrap White TW3W should be your go-to brand. It’s easy to install and even stretches along with the growth of your trees making reapplications a thing of the past.
If you live somewhere with intense temperature changes, your trees can suffer cracks and damage, but this product protects against that. You can use nails to hold it in place.
- Excellent at protecting younger think bark trees
- Easy to apply
Do you recommend a weed barrier fabric that protected your yard or garden?
We’d love to hear about it. Submit your suggestions and recommendations here.