The best bodyboard for big guys is designed exclusively for big, tall, or heavy riders. If you’re a big guy, you need a board this is wide and tall enough, while also being highly durable to achieve peak performance.
While bodyboards were once limited to average 42 inch long boards, today’s boardboards range in size, shape, and overall appearance.
Size is one of the most important aspects of purchasing a bodyboard. When the board is held out in front of you, the bodyboard should reach from your knees to your chin.
Heavier riders require extra width for better buoyancy in the water. You’ll also want to choose a board according to your abilities. If you’re a new rider, get a beginner’s board.
With the right bodyboard, even big guys can ride the waves like their smaller surfer counterparts. As bodyboards range in size, style, and price, we’ve made the decision-making process a little easier on you. Here’s a look at some top-rated options for the best bodyboard for big guys.
Morey Big Kahuna
Wave Rebal Bodyboard
California Board Company Magnum Bodyboard
GYN Trade Heat Sealed Legendary Pro X
Body Board Ultimate Wavemaster Pro Bodyboard
Goplus Super Lightweight Bodyboard, 41"
What To Look For In The Best Bodyboard for Big Guys:
- Core Material: There are two main types of core material: dow polyethylene foam (PE) and polypropyle foam (PP). Dow is a great option as it offers excellent flex and all-around great performance.
- Stringer: The stringer of a bodyboard is the composite material tube that runs down the center of the board. This “spine” adds strength to the core and increases projection.
- Tail: There are four main types of tails, each based on the ‘bat’ and ‘crescent’ shape. As a general rule of thumb, the wider the tail the faster and more stable the bodyboard is.
- Board Width: For bigger guys, you’ll want to ensure that the width of your board is adequate for your body. The wider a board is, the greater buoyancy it has. However, wider boards are typically more difficult to turn than narrower boards.
The 5 Best Bodyboards for Big And Heavy Guys
1. Morey Big Kahuna
If you’re a bigger guy, your average bodyboard just won’t do. The Morey Big Kahuna bodyboard is 44 inches and exclusively designed for larger riders over 5’10” and/or 185 lbs. and up. With its durable construction, this ultra-sturdy bodyboard rides hard and doesn’t come with a huge price tag like similar products.
Personalize your bodyboard by choosing from a selection of vibrant colors. The board is also equipped with a power rod stringer and a dual composite carbon strength tube that has been embedded into the board to give it a solid power base. Also, the crescent tail provides the user with maximum control while in the water.
What Users Are Saying:
- I recommend this board 100%
- Professional bodyboard
- Perfect for bigger boarders
- Great price and quick shipping!
- Nice handling and floating
- Suitable for beginners and experts
2. Wave Rebal Bodyboard
Advanced riders require a bodyboard with a little more toughness. The Wave Rebal Bodyboard, also referred to as the XXXL, is designed exclusively for big guys. Its quality construction ensures durability and longevity, and its extra features like its pro-slick bottom with bat tail and channels give the rider extra power in the water.
What makes it the best bodyboard for big guys is its XEPE deck, EPS core, and key perks like coiled urethane leash and brass swivels. This board is recommended for riders who are 5’6” and up and 190 lbs. or more. Choose from a selection of bold colors to really customize your purchase.
What Users Are Saying:
- Light and buoyant
- Great board for bigger guys and gals
- This board makes surfing the waves so much fun
- Excellent board! Great for larger riders
- The size and width are perfect
- Great purchase for the price
3. California Board Company Magnum Bodyboard
If you’re looking for the best bodyboard for big guys, you’ve found it here. The California Board Company Magnum Bodyboard offers high performance and modern style with an affordable price tag. The board has everything you need to perform well in the water, from the crescent tail and CNS/SS deck to the dual swivel coil leash and slick bottom.
The board measures 44” and is suitable for both beginner and intermediate riders. With a wide template and plenty of length, even big guys can maneuver through the water like a shark. The board is also packed with all of the features you’d expect to see in a high-end board, allowing you to master the sport without having to switch boards.
What Users Are Saying:
- Perfect for big guys
- Great value for the money
- Sturdy board for tall guys
- The leash is really nice quality
- With this board I can catch waves easily
- This board has held up really well
4. GYN Trade Heat Sealed Legendary Pro X
Bright and colorful graphics make this bodyboard an eye-catching addition to the water while comfortably supporting up to 220lbs (when the correct sizing is chosen during checkout). Available in two different lengths (and heights) that have two different weight limits suit a wider customer audience. This board features a crescent tail design for higher control and stability of direction and speed while on the water. The construction of this bodyboard is unique in the fact that instead of the various parts (the shell, the core, and the graphics) of the bodyboard being glued together as is common in most bodyboards – they are heat sealed during a special process for a longer shelf life.
The wrist leash is detachable and featured on the bottom of the board so it doesn’t take away from the overall look and visual of the board. The bottom is slick and hard plastic which allows for a higher speed when needed but it’s a good weight so that it doesn’t sink into the water but instead floats gently on the surface.
This bodyboard would be best purchased by someone who has experience on the water and would be comfortable using a board that doesn’t have a secure wrist leash as it is detachable. Beginners could also benefit from this board as the heat sealed design allows for practice runs with ease but should be aware that the wrist leash can be removed (and is not recommended unless you are an experienced rider).
- Heat sealed layers offer stronger construction that will withstand years of use
- Detachable wrist cord offers options to the body boarder
- Two different sizes to suit the customer
- Some customers reported that a wrist leash wasn’t included in their purchase.
5. Body Board Ultimate Wavemaster Pro Bodyboard
One of the top names in the bodyboard business, this pro bodyboard has a slick and modern design made from a combination of closed cell soft foam made from polymeric chains and a high density EPS core. This means this board will hold up to frequent use and frequent rough water for an extremely comfortable ride all around. It has a crescent tail for the riders along with multiple grooved slots on the bottom of the board, allowing for maximum control over everything from steering to speed.
Suitable for riders that are taller than 6’0” and weigh from 150 to 250 lbs.; this board is extremely lightweight and weighs in at only 3lbs. Colorful graphics throughout the design means this board will never be misplaced and everyone will know who that rider is on the water. Grip rails help the rider secure the board to the body without having to sacrifice speed to meet those gnarly waves. A padded wrist leash will offer more comfort than traditional rope leashes that can dig into the skin.
This board would definitely be purchased by an experienced rider over a novice one, as its design is more for a knee-riding position which can take time and practice to get used to.
- Closed cell soft foam contours to the body for a comfortable ride while the industrial hard plastic outer shell protects the board itself
- Construction design is built for performance, speed, and maximum comfort
- Will perform the same in warm and cold water
- Some customers reported that the black ink in the graphics stained clothing and skin during initial uses
6. Goplus Super Lightweight Bodyboard, 41″
With a choice of lime green or sunny yellow, this bodyboard is ideal for kids and adults alike. The shape of this board has been designed to be used in rivers, oceans, and even swimming pools for an optimized experience. 60/40 rails help beginner riders gain confidence and grow their abilities in using the board while the crescent tail offers not only control but also a smoother ride. The EPS core will not bend or break at the slightest pressure and the waterproof materials featured in the construction ensure that this board will be used 20 years from now without any issues.
Security is provided in the attached wrist strap which prevents the rider from not only losing the board but potential injury should a fall occur while in the water. The bright coloring of the board also helps the rider find it in the water!
Lightweight in carrying weight, buoyant on the water, and slick in the waves; this board offers a fun and comfortable ride for the person, making it an ideal purchase for anyone of any level of bodyboarding experience.
- Designed for children and adults with a high load-bearing weight level
- Solid impact resistance and durability protects your investment
- Thickened layers offer durability and security
- Some customers reported that bubbles developed in the board after a couple of uses