Golf is a popular and well-loved game for many reasons. It offers people an escape from the stresses of everyday life, allows you to bond with loved ones, burns calories, and improves hand-eye coordination.
With courses in nearly every country across the world, this game is a classic that will stand the test of time. Anyone who is familiar with golf, beginner or not, knows that you must be able to putt well to play well.
Quick Look of Our Top Pick for the Best Indoor Putting Greens
- Putt-A-Bout Grassroots Par Three Putting Green
- SKLZ Accelerator Pro Putting Mat
- StarPro 6ft x 12ft 5-Hole Game Room Professional Practice Putting Green
- LEVELGOLF – Dual-Track ProEdge Indoor Putting Green
- Big Moss Augusta Putting Green
According to many golf players, accurate putting is one of the hardest aspects of being a great golfer, but having a bad putting streak is a quick way to lower your overall score and end up losing. This means that perfecting this skill is a must. Most players who enjoy the game would love to be out on the course every day honing their skills, but that isn’t always possible.
This is where owning an indoor putting green is helpful. In addition to being a lot of fun, and a great activity to do with the family, this product offers an effective method for perfecting your golf game.
Putt-A-Bout Grassroots Par Three Putting Green
SKLZ Accelerator Pro Putting Mat
StarPro 6ft x 12ft 5-Hole Game Room Professional Practice Putting Green
LEVELGOLF – Dual-Track ProEdge Indoor Putting Green
Big Moss Augusta Putting Green
VariSpeed Putting System
SHAUN WEBB Signature Putting Green Indoor Mat
With an indoor putting green, you don’t have to wait to get your putting practice in only when you have time to drive to the golf course, or when there’s sunny weather. Instead, you can practice in your living room or office with this versatile and portable option.
Another great benefit to purchasing an indoor mat is the fact that you only buy it once and each use after that is free, unlike visiting a real course or hiring a trainer.
Whether you’re a professional, seasoned player who takes your game very seriously, or you’re only looking to dabble in the sport as a hobby, practicing your putt matters, and there’s no reason to be limited in how often you can do so. Spend a few minutes a day or a few hours a day practicing, no matter the season.
What to Look for in an Indoor Putting Green
- Portability: Some players will want to practice putting in their living room, at their office, or even on their back deck. Regardless of which of these apply to you, having a portable indoor putting green ensures that you can take it with you wherever you wish. The best model will be easy to pack up and put away after uses.
- Realistic surface: Since the main purpose of using an indoor putting green is to improve your golf game, making sure it’s as close to the real course as possible is of crucial importance. Ideally, the product you select will mimic the conditions of the course in terms of roll speed and smoothness.
- Simple to set up: Getting great at golf is already a time-consuming task on its own, so finding an indoor putting green that is quick and easy to put in place is crucial. This way, you’ll have more time to dedicate to practicing, instead of struggling with setting up the mat each time you bring it somewhere new. Every extra moment you have to use your mat will help you reach your golfing goals.
- Quality, long-lasting material: Depending on which brand you opt for, buying an indoor putting green can be a bit of an investment, so finding one made of quality materials that will stand the test of time is ideal. Some may wish to use their putting green outdoors, so having that option due to durable material is nice.
5 Best Indoor Putting Greens You Should Have
Considering the important qualities and factors above, we compiled a list of the best putting greens to buy for improving your game.
1. Putt-A-Bout Grassroots Par Three Putting Green
This indoor putting green has the classic kidney shape, with 9 by 3 feet of area to putt on and 3 practice holes included.
Although it doesn’t have an automatic function for returning balls, the Putt-A-Bout Grassroots Par Three Putting Green may benefit those who enjoy putting at night without waking up their family from the noise. This also offers you the chance to get some additional exercise in while practicing your strokes.
This putting green offers the speed, look, and feel of a real golf course on a well-crafted and highly durable mat. The polypropylene material rolls up easily, but make sure you don’t fold it up as that will cause creases in the material. With some products, it’s necessary to smooth out the mat with heavy books or similar items before it will lie flat, but this product is an exception.
The size of this indoor putting green is small enough to fit into most any room but large enough to be effective for practice. For those working with smaller quarters, but still needpractice, this is an ideal choice.
Complete with nonslip backing to help it stay in place on smooth floors, the simple design of this model allows normal putting shots to glide along smoothly. In addition, it can be set up on the hardwood, tile, and various other surfaces with great results.
Even textured carpet is fine for this indoor putting green. While some similar products can take a while to set up, this one flattens out right out of its box. The cups on this mat are just a bit smaller than typical practice cups in order to enhance and improve your skills, with sand traps built in to catch and easily retrieve any stray balls.Check The Price
2. SKLZ Accelerator Pro Putting Mat
SKLZ is a San Diego-based brand that offers a wide range of sporting equipment, including performance training gear. Its products are created to help train amateur athletes in improving their skills, and The Accelerator Pro Putting Mat is no exception.
Complete with a ball return function, this mat allows you to train continuously without having to break your focus to retrieve runaway balls. It comes with an upslope and a realistic surface that will make you feel like you’re at the course where you want to be.
This product stands out because it offers varying alignment guides. Choose between 3, 5, or 7 feet to perfect varying aspects of your putting. Many golfers putt slightly to one direction without being aware of it, so these guides allow you to adjust your practice for the areas that need most work for you personally.
These markings are also useful for pacing specific distances on the putting mat regardless of whether you want to get the ball into the hole or not. If you, for example, would like to practice rolling the ball exactly 3 feet, this is highly useful.
This mat is a bit thicker than other models, which can help with smoothness on very thick or soft carpets, causing your practice shots to roll at normal speeds. The golf ball return function on this product works smoothly most of the time, but balls can get stuck every so often.
Compared to the other qualities of this product, however, this is a minor detail.Check The Price
3. StarPro 6ft x 12ft 5-Hole Game Room Professional Practice Putting Green
This mat is the best choice for upgrading when you want to move onto something a bit fancier and more advanced. Created in Dalton, Georgia, the artificial grass used in the StarPro Professional Practice Putting Green has been stabilized by UV rays in order to preserve its natural-looking color. Install it outside permanently or use it as a portable, indoor mat.
This mat was created with beauty and durability in mind, and was crafted to stand the test of time. For indoor use, the mat comes with a lifetime warranty, and for outdoor use, it’s guaranteed to last for a minimum of 8 years.
This product is more expensive than the others, but it’s larger than most, spanning 6 by 12 feet, with 5 practice holes to use. In addition to this, it’s durable enough to stay entirely intact through many cleanings, or even the rowdiest of kids.
The manufacturer factory is qualified for environmentally friendly initiatives (for those of you who care about staying green), and uses up-to-date technology to ensure that the product stays looking fresh and realistic.
This putting green comes with cups included in the order, which can be substituted for outdoor cups for permanent installations outside, increasing its versatility. Although it is the most expensive product on our list, it comes with clear, distinct advantages.Check The Price
4. LEVELGOLF – Dual-Track ProEdge Indoor Putting Green
The LEVELGOLF Duel-Track ProEdge comes with a surface that was designed to accurately simulate a ball’s roll at the golf course. The mat’s smooth surface allows the ball to effortlessly follow its line, giving you an easy target while helping you to see exactly what needs work in your stroke. With a length of 10.5 feet, you have the freedom to practice and perfect your putting technique at varying distances.
Many will appreciate that the simple design of this model’s automatic ball return relies on gravity. Whether you make or miss your shot, your ball is returned quickly to you through the track on the side of the mat.
This indoor putting green is simple to assemble and disassemble, making it portable and easy to use. You can be set up and putting within minutes, anywhere you choose, and then roll it up quickly when you’re done.
This product comes with slots in the base for holding your putter and golf balls, adding to the convenience of the design. If you plan to use your indoor putting green both at work and at home, for example, this feature will be great for you.
Many putting green models come with just one cup, but the Dual-Track ProEdge comes with two holes that are smaller than standard. This increases the challenge of making your shots, helping you focus your attention on getting the ball to the cup’s center.
For those of you using the product on carpet, remember to wear shoes while practicing so you stay at the same elevation as the mat. Due to the thickness of the mat, going bare foot will leave you closer to your ball than you would be at an actual course.
Since much of golf practice is about perfecting muscle memory, the trick is to get as close to the reality of the course as possible when you practice. This will help immensely in that regard.Check The Price
5. Big Moss Augusta Putting Green
Big Moss, a company started by a golfer in the floor industry looking to improve his game, offers an indoor putting green dedicated to helping golfers bring down their putting scores.
Made right at home in the USA, the Augusta Putting Green’s synthetic grass rolls, responds and feels just like the real thing. Whether you are training for a tournament or looking for a way to spruce up your game nights at home with friends, this is a suitable product for the task.
It definitely isn’t the cheapest product available as far as putting greens go, but it’s made of quality materials and was designed to improve your putting skills quickly. The owner is so confident about this that he offers customers a full refund if their golfing scores don’t improve after using this model for a half hour per day.
At 4 by 12 feet, this putting green is both wider and longer than other models, offering you more space to work with.
This product does take up more room than some of the others on the list, so that’s something to keep in mind depending on how much space you’re working with. It’s quick and easy to set up without the need for tools.
Keep in mind that in order to keep the putting green functioning optimally, you should try to sweep it at least once a week.Check The Price
Tips for Becoming a Better Putter
- Guide with your left hand: It can be easy to ignore the left hand in favor of the right, since the right hand appears to be doing all the work. However, your left hand is what does the guiding and directing, making it equally important and crucial to focus on. Try evening things out by practicing putting the opposite way, with your right hand doing the guiding. It might feel a bit awkward at first, but it will get you used to having your left hand in on the action.
- Focus on the fingers: Everyone has a different style of gripping the putter. The important factor here is that your left hand has freedom to guide the stroke. You do need to make sure, however, that your fingers are gripping the club fully. The shaft of your club should align with your left hand’s lifeline for better control, but you need to be touching the grip with your fingers. Try not to focus on your palms, instead shifting your attention to what your fingers are doing.
- Think about rolling, not hitting: Distance control can be tricky, and what makes it even harder is thinking about hitting the ball instead of rolling it. In order to focus more on the roll, try to assume an open positioned stance, leaning the shaft of your putter toward your target, with your weight focused slightly on your left. This stance will make it simpler for you to feel your left hand reaching out along the line toward your target. As you are following through on your stroke, try to keep the head of your putter low after the impact. It’s natural for the putter to ascend a bit, but trying to hit the ball upward will cause it to hop.
Putting and Golf Links around the Web
- Playing golf gives ‘all round health benefits’
- Tour Confidential: Who Will Be This Year’s Breakout Star?
- Golf News on the Latest Tours & Tournaments
- Best shoes for disc golf