Wood burning is something you may have learned how to do in shop class. My grandfather taught me, and it’s something I still love to do. You can do it free hand for artistic purposes, or create wooden signs for more practical purposes. Use stencils or your imagination.
There are countless products out there, many of which come with a variety of functions, and it’s hard to know what to look for, especially for a beginner. For those just getting started, or others who’ve burned wood in the past but want to jump back in, we’ve rounded up the best wood burning tools and professional pyrography pens on the market today.
What to Look for in Pyrography Pens & Tools
- Quick Heating: You don’t want to be sitting around waiting forever for your tool to heat up, especially if you invited some friends over to partake in the activity with you. Get a tool that warms up fast.
- Adjustable Tips: Ideally you will have a wood burner that has tips you can change to keep your pursuits interesting. You’ll want something that offers both thicker lines as well as fine ones.
- Variable Temperature: Though some wood burners that only stay at one heat may get the job done, it’s better to be able to control it yourself.
The Best Wood Burning Tools & Pyrography Pens
Here are the best wood burning tools and pyrography pens for different uses and budgets.
- Razertip Single Burner with Pen
- Dremel 2000-01 Versa Tip
- Wall Lenk L101KB Woodworker
- Walnut Hollow Creative Versa
- Walnut Hollow Creative Introduction
Best Overall Performance
Razertip Single Burner with Pen
The heat tip on this wood burning pen adjusts very quickly to your needs, meaning you can work fast without having to wait. The Razertip Single Burner with Pen also comes with very fine tips for more detailed work if you’re an advanced artist. Adjust the heat as you go for different tones in your shading.
It heats up right away, and gets warm enough to etch very hard wood, meaning the sky is the limit for your wood burning pursuits. This model is great for more professional or advanced wood burners, but it’s simple enough to be used be those of you who are new to the craft as well.
- Great for beginners or wood burning classes
- Must-have tool for wood burning, works like a charm
- Burns fast but without skimping on quality, lines are great
- Feels good on the hand, nice ergonomic design for extended use
Best Beginner’s Choice
Wall Lenk L101KB Woodworker-foots 10-in-1 Tool Kit
Not only does this model heat up quickly, but it also cools down fast so you don’t have to worry about dangerous accidents such as forgetting it’s hot and touching it, or having your cat walk over the tool and burning himself (this is possible).
The Wall Lenk L101KB Woodworker-foots 10-in-1 Tool Kit is suitable for beginners and pros alike. The pieces are self explanatory, meaning you can get started with your projects without needing to do a lot of research or consult a professional to teach you.
With this particular model, it’s important to wait until the unit has cooled down before you replace tips, or you risk stripping the threads that hold them in place.
- Ideal for beginners and intermediate wood burners
- Stand and tool set is convenient, easy to use
- Wonderful wood burning performance, nice control
- Lightweight, good grip and easy to maneuver at different angles
Best Multi-Use Pick
Dremel 2000-01 Versa Tip Precision Butane Soldering Torch
If you are looking for a tool that is great for wood burning, but is not a one trick pony, the Dremel 2000-01 Versa Tip Precision Butane Soldering Torch is one to consider. You can use it to solder wires, cut rope, and more. It starts up easy, heats up quickly, and has 14 different pieces to choose from. You also won’t have to wait long for it to cool down after use.
Some people have even been able to repair their electronics with this tool, instead of hiring an expensive technician to do it for them.
- Ideal all-in-one, versatile wood burning tool
- Works well for etching wood and other materials
- Also works for soldering, rope cutting, hot air, etc.
- Arrived fast, works well, extremely sturdy product
- Can tell its built with quality parts and long-term use
Best for Supervised Kids
Walnut Hollow Creative Versa Tool
This tool is good for beginners or professionals, and offers a wide variety of tips. The Walnut Hollow Creative Versa Tool with Versa-Temp Variable Temperature Control can be used for fine lines or wider ones. It doesn’t only work for wood, but can also be used for soldering, or for stamping.
It takes a few minutes to heat up, but it’s faster than many models and adjusts quickly once you get it going. The tips are durable as well and won’t break as long as you’re careful.
- Excellent tool for they money
- Love how well the temperature adjusts depending on your needs
- Pressure is always great, easy to set and adjust
- Details are much easier with this tool than with larger, stiffer ones
Best Budget Pick
Walnut Hollow Creative Woodburner Introduction Value Pen
If you have kids who are interested in getting into this hobby, the Walnut Hollow Creative Woodburner Introduction Value Pen is a great product for them to start out with, under your adult supervision of course. It works and writes just like a standard ink pen but a bit thicker, and burns very quickly and easily into softer types of wood.
This pen can be used for wood work as well as leather, but make sure that if you’re using it for long periods of time, you use gloves just to prevent unhappy accidents.
- Incredibly easy to use and get the hang of
- Feels like you’re holding a pen or smaller tool
- Heats quickly, works in minutes
- Perfect for softer woods that don’t need a heavy tool
- Shipped fast and with excellent packaging, great company
Quick and Dirty Guide(s) to Wood Burning
If you’re just getting your feet wet and your wood warm, check out the Art of Manliness’ beginner’s guide to pyrography, wood burning techniques from Instructables, or wood burning projects on Pinterest.
Looking for more wood tools? Check out our picks for the best wood carving tools, or find more products in our Arts and Crafts reviews. If you’re looking for other things to heat up, check out our reviews for the best printer for heat transfers.